Thursday, April 7, 2016

Writing 4(blog posts)for Crit 3 (Crit II)

I got some good feedback last time, and I think part of it was that the group was good about keeping in mind that the demons were meant to be seen as designs, and not finished art pieces. Portico suggested I try doing a bit more gore; having the demons have some "evidence" of their activities. So, here are the three I've got to show on Friday:

I wanted to draw a big tanky demon, with some influence from Stephen Gammell's work. Since last time it was mentioned that the color made my demons almost 'cute' I wanted to try black and white with some sparse color.
 My second design was prompted by wanting to do something a bit more human looking, but still unsettling. I used the same coloring idea as I did in the first design.

Taz is actually going to be a pretty important character in my webcomic, which is why I put a bit more work into coloring him. In the story, he's a fallen angel who is a member of a small band of demons who want to seek redemption and be allowed back into Heaven. When he initially shows up in disguise at the main character's house, they reveal his true form and try to trap him. Unfortunately all they have on hand when they work the spell is a Gatorade bottle. So he gets shrunk down to that size. Eventually, once he proves that his intentions are good, they'll put him in an old turtle habitat so he has a bit more room to roam.

I'm really curious to hear feedback on the first demon, as I tried a few new inking techniques with it. 

This time around I'd like to feature Will Cowley:
https://willcowley.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/information-about-myself/

I really like that his work has elements of stage magic in it, as I've always been a fan of that. I don't see any examples of it on his latest blog post, but the last couple of critiques he's brought in drawings of little voodoo dolls that are creepy cute.  I wonder if he's ever thought about taking one of those voodoo doll drawings and turning it into a sculpture? I think some of his works could look really cool in that format.

No comments:

Post a Comment